Friday, April 1, 2011

My Friend Amanda - Interview on TOMORROW'S GARDEN

Today I'm happy to welcome Amanda Cabot back to my blog to chat about the third and final installment of the Texas Dreams trilogy, Tomorrow's Garden. I've had the pleasure of reading the first two books in this series and am seriously looking forward to this one!

~*~

About Tomorrow's Garden

As the seed awaits the spring sunshine, so one young woman hopes for a brighter tomorrow

Harriet Kirk is certain that becoming the new schoolteacher in Ladreville, Texas is just what she needs—a chance to put the past behind her and give her younger siblings a brighter tomorrow. What she didn’t count on was the presence of handsome former Texas Ranger Lawrence Wood—or the way he affects her fragile heart. But can Harriet and Lawrence ever truly conquer the past in order to find happiness?

Book 3 in the Texas Dreams series, Tomorrow’s Garden is a powerful story of overcoming the odds and grabbing hold of happiness.

~*~

About Amanda


Amanda Cabot has always been a dreamer, and so it’s no coincidence that her first books for the CBA market are called Texas Dreams.  Set in the Hill Country beginning in 1856, these deeply emotional historical romances showcase God’s love as well as that between a man and a woman.  The first in the trilogy, Paper Roses, was a finalist for the Carol Award.  Scattered Petals received critical acclaim, and the final Texas Dreams book, Tomorrow’s Garden, has just been released.

A former director of Information Technology, Amanda has written everything from technical books and articles for IT professionals to mysteries for teenagers and romances for all ages.  She’s delighted to now be a fulltime writer living in Cheyenne, WY with her high school sweetheart/ husband of many years.

~*~

What's your latest book?

Tomorrow’s Garden, the third and last of the Texas Dreams books, is an April release from Revell.  As was true of the other books, it can be enjoyed without having read the previous books, but there are continuing characters from the first two books.  Lawrence, the hero of Tomorrow’s Garden, was introduced in Scattered Petals and demanded his own story, never dreaming that I’d pair him with a spitfire of a schoolmarm.


I'm so looking forward to Lawrence's story! Were there any surprises in writing it?

I’m a careful plotter, so you wouldn’t expect me to encounter surprises along the way, but there were a couple in Tomorrow’s Garden.  The biggest surprise was that Isabelle, who appeared in both Paper Roses and Scattered Petals, became such an important part of this book.  She took over a role that I had planned for Sarah, the heroine of Paper Roses, and simply wouldn’t let go.  What could I do?  I let her have her way.


There's just no reasoning with characters when they dig in, is there? I'm sure this surprise made it turn out beautifully. What was the hardest part to write?
The ending.  Not because the ending itself was difficult to write, but because I knew that this would be the last time I’d be writing about the people of Ladreville.  Over the course of the trilogy, they’d become real to me, and I wanted to discover what happened to them.  What changes did the Civil War bring?  Did the next generation overcome the hostility that had plagued their parents?  The questions were endless, but since I’m already contracted to write two very different trilogies, I know they won’t be answered anytime soon, and so my relief at finishing the book was tempered with regret that I’d be leaving Ladreville.


Maybe some time in the future you'll be able to visit them though. =( Always sad to leave behind old friends. Though I'm eager to see what new stories you have in store too! But back to Tomorrow's Garden. What do you hope your readers will get out of the story?
Of course I hope they’ll enjoy the romance between Harriet and Lawrence – a mismatched couple if there ever was one – but I also hope that the story of sibling relationships will resonate with them.  Harriet’s had responsibility for her five younger siblings for far too young.  As for Lawrence … without giving away the plot, let’s just say that his relationship with his sisters has had an enormous influence on his life.  Watching the two of them deal with their past as they try to forge a future reminded me of the often turbulent relationships I see in other families.


What's your favorite genre to write? To read?
Romance, in both cases.  I love happy endings, and so I gravitate toward books that promise me one.  To me, there’s nothing more satisfying than watching two apparently mismatched people surmount obstacles along the path to true love, and when you add a faith element … well, that’s the perfect story for me.


I so agree. =) Now, onto fun. If someone were to give you $5,000 to spend on anything you wanted, what would you buy? (No saving or gifts to charities allowed!)
Books, books and more books.  Not just ordinary books, either.  I’d buy those wonderful (but expensive) picture books that some people call coffee table books.  I find photographs, whether of exotic places or ordinary people going about their ordinary lives, fascinating.  They’ve also provided inspiration for my own books.  It’s true that a picture is worth many words.


Oo, good one! I think I'd also have to add "shelves to store those books, books, and more books"! Mine are bursting, LOL. What is the most rewarding part of writing for you?
Hearing from readers.  I know it’s a cliché, but readers are the reason I write, and when a reader takes the time to tell me that she’s enjoyed my story, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.  I was particularly touched by several readers’ response to Scattered Petals.  I literally had tears in my eyes when they told me that Priscilla’s story had helped them heal.  Those notes were more precious to me than almost anything I can imagine.


Oh, I can imagine! Readers really are the heart of publication. Let's look to the future now. What are you writing right now?
Even though I have two other books already in the pipeline and scheduled for publication in 2012, I’m working on my 2013 release.  This is the second of the Westward Winds books and is titled Waiting for Spring.  What’s particularly fun about this book is that it’s set in Cheyenne, which is where I now live.  Not only is research easy, with both an excellent county library and the state library and archives close by, but it’s wonderful to be able to walk along the same streets that my hero and heroine did.  Of course, the city has changed dramatically since 1886, but that’s part of the fun.

Roseanna, thanks so much for inviting me to be part of your blog.  I’ve enjoyed our time together.

Thanks for visiting, Amanda! Readers, you can find her book at Amazon and be sure to check out her website at www.amandacabot.com.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful book! Please enter me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Roseanna. I'm looking forward to your book, Amanda. Congratulations on its release!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed reading amanda's first two books in this series...i'm looking forward to reading her latest :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosanna, thanks for a great interview. Amanda, as always I'm looking forward to your next exciting and inspiring read. From a devoted fan. :)

    ReplyDelete