Monday, November 29, 2010

Modern . . . Worlds

First, don't forget that the book signing is still running! Until 7 December, you can order signed and personalized copies of 190 books by 70 authors. So click on that banner above and get shopping. It's Cyber Monday, you know. ;-)

And now only my real topic. My hubby and I were discussing books and series and sequels and prequels yesterday, and he summed it up rather nicely by saying, "any book in the same world." That really stuck with me, because I knew exactly what he meant. Not that two books necessarily had the same characters or family, but they existed in the same fictional world, with the same fictionalized things.

See, I often decide in my contemporaries, "Well, I've already created this once, so I'll just stick with it." Which is a little strange when you consider that I'm using aspects of My World that I created for manuscripts that I never finished, half the time. But hey, it works. Example?

I once began a story set in L.A., about a fashion duo taking over the design company of their grandparents. The company was Cassidy St. Claire, known as CsC. I so liked the way this looked that when another character in a whole other series wanted to mention working with a designer (but I didn't want to use a real one), I chuckled to myself and thought, "Well, it looks like Kori's branching out into this . . ." and had my character in my NC books suddenly dealing with these already-known-to-me folks in L.A.

And when I need a menacing foreign dealer in something illegal? Well, why not use the Phantom Russe from this book I never intend to get published? I mean, he's already established in my mind for this . . .

Oddly, I have yet to do this with historicals, perhaps because my stories span too many years to really use the same creations. My Biblical characters can't really exist in the same world as my Victorian duke, right? But with modern settings, it's so easy (and fun!) to borrow one's previous creations. Or, as I did in one story, to give my best friend a cameo when my characters ventured to the mall half a mile from her house. =) Or to mention the rowdy teens at the ice cream place that she talked about in her books . . .

Am I the only one that does this, or can you think of times you writers have used the same world for totally different stories? Or that you readers have noticed it? (I've noted it in a few best-sellers, and it makes me grin.)

1 comment:

  1. Sarah Dessen, my favorite YA author, does this all the time with her books. Actually, on the wikipedia article for her, they've listed all the different cameos that have happened in her books.

    ReplyDelete