Monday, November 22, 2010

Being Thankful in All Things

A popular theme this week, right? ;-) Well, some themes need to be taken up.

All month I've had my daughter drawing pictures in what we're calling her "Thankful Book." It's just a book staples booklet of white paper. On the front she wrote, "Lord, I'm thankful for . . . " and each day she colors a picture on a new page to finish the sentence. I figure I'll do a version of that this week on my blog.

I want to start out with the scripture my dad used in his sermon this weekend. From Ephesians 5:18-20: "but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, 20 giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

One of the things he expounded on which really struck me was that giving thanks always for all things means thanking God for the bad along with the good. I really want to get the hang of that, LOL. It's easy to thank him for the bad once it's passed and we can see the good that came from it, but during? That's tough. So this week, I not only want to thank Him for something good each day, I want to stretch myself and thank him for something bad. Anyone want to try this with me?

Today, Lord, I'm going to start out as my daughter did (which made me so proud) and say, "I'm thankful for Jesus." He is my hope, my light, my life. Without Jesus . . . well, I'd be looking for Jesus. =)

I'm also thankful for this work load that has kept me so busy and exhausted this past week. Do I know if it'll be "worth it"? No, I don't. Did I learn something from it (other than, "Let's give ourselves more time next year")? Picture me shrugging. But God is the one who renewed the idea for this book signing in my mind at the precise moment He did, He is the one that stirred such an interest in it among the authors. So thank you, Lord--I can't wait to see what you do with it.

What are you thankful for today?

3 comments:

  1. That I can be used by Him even today. Good reminder! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roseanna, Love your blog! And I have this same little pumpkin sitting on my kitchen windowsill:) Bless you and your family this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete