Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Story Time at Christmas? Yeah, right

Which is to say, I haven't had time to crack open a book, which is a crying shame, cuz I've got one fabulous one I've barely started and two Christmas stories just begging to be read. So I'll chat about them, but I'm warning ya--I don't have much to say. =)

Right now I'm reading The Glassblower by Laurie Alice Eakes. I have been looking forward to this book for a long time, ever since Laurie Alice announced to our historical group that she'd sold it to Heartsong. It isn't available on Amazon etc. yet, but can be ordered from Heartsong and through the bookclub. The Glassblower is about Meg, a young woman who dreams of opening a school in her New Jersey town so that other children aren't forced away from home for education as she had been. Enter the charming Scotsman Colin, master glassblower, who just got a job at her father's glass making family. Right away something sizzles between them, but Meg knows nothing can ever come of it. Her father would never permit her to keep company with a mere laborer--instead, he has another suitor in mind for her.

This is a short gulp of a book, and I've read titles from Laurie Alice before, so I know it'll be beautifully written and will speed by once I have an hour to dedicate to it. I'll do that tonight so that I can debate between the two Christmas titles from Summerside's Love Finds You line that just showed up.

First to arrive was Loree Lough's Love Finds You in North Pole, Alaska. Can't wait to read this largely because I've been chatting with Loree for the last few months, and she's such a wonderful lady that I just know I'm going to fall in love with this book. (Not to mention that the back cover sounded fabulous;-) It's all about an ex-Marine, self-dubbed Scrooge who's none to happy to be going home to the town where "It's Christmas All Year Long." Especially when he keeps butting heads with Sam, the stubborn manager of his aunt's shop.

A day later came Love Finds You in Bethlehem, New Hampshire by Lauralee Bliss. This one's a historical about an artist who orders a mail-order bride . . . but is expecting someone a little more refined than the penniless Sara. As Christmas transforms the tiny town, will the lessons of the season change his heart?

So, there you have it. Three great reads I haven't had time to read yet. =) Maybe you'll have better luck than me this holiday season, I say as I teach my daughter how to use her new ZhuZhu Pet . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment