Friday, October 30, 2009

Praying

After a week of feeling pretty blah physically (headaches that may have bordered on migraines, given the way sound grated on my nerves and my stomach was upset), I didn't want to put the effort into the My Friend stuff, which takes longer than my other posts of the week. Especially since I'm trying to put myself into a prayerful mindset.

Tomorrow, my church is having a morning prayer vigil. We're a small congregation, and while we keep getting new members, then other ones leave for one reason or another. Never that they want to leave our church, but it's too far away or their work schedule changes or . . . you know. But it occurred to us that we need to have something better than ideas if we want to reach people. We need vision. So tomorrow, we're going to be on our knees waiting for it.

I'm one of those people that needs to learn to listen better. Usually when I get something from God, it isn't actually during my prayer time. Often following it, but it generally hits when I'm in the middle of a conversation or a task, one of those epiphanic moments that brings me to a halt. Tomorrow, I really want my heart and mind to be prepared to stop and listen to the Lord, not just talk to him.

We'll be praying specifically for our church, for the local and national governments, and for other issues that weigh on our hearts. If anyone has ever held a prayer vigil like this and has some tips for things to do (i.e., make a list before you go, make a list of impressions after you leave, that sort of thing), I'd love to hear them. And if you just want to take a moment now to say a prayer for me and my church family to really commune with God, I'd appreciate it.

I don't find it a coincidence that in the week leading up to this, I've been borderline ill, bad tempered, and unable to concentrate on anything. I want to slap my own wrist for getting caught up in the physical when I wanted to be preparing all week for this. So today, I'm hoping my friends will join their prayers to mine to help me get out of my headache-induced rut and focus on Him.

Love you guys!

1 comment:

  1. I'm praying for you, Roseanna. I hope the prayer vigil went well.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete