my code name would be Evelyn Pitt.
What would yours be?
How the Culpers came to be the Culpers
Ever wonder how spies develop their aliases? Well, here’s how the Culper Ring got theirs. They started with the initials of the head of intelligence—Charles Scott, C.S. Then they reversed them—S.C. This would be the initials of the primary Culper officer. For the “C,” Washington chose a place he had fond memories of, Culpeper County, Virginia, where he worked as a lad. Then he shortened it to Culper. For the “S,” Tallmadge (the head officer of the ring) decided on “Samuel,” his younger brother’s name, and a good friend of the man who would be adopting the identity. So there we have it! Samuel Culper, the creation that became the bane of the British.
Let's Create Our Name!
1. Start with a name of a teacher, parent, or bossI'm going to pick Patricia Egan, one of my favorite bosses from my college days
2. Take their initials and reverse 'emSo P.E. becomes E.P.
3. Think of a place important to you that starts with the second initialI'm going to pick Pittsburgh, because it's the closest major city whose sports teams we like
4. Shorten, lengthen, or otherwise alter the place name into a surname
So Pittsburgh becomes Pitt. No relation to Brad, ahem. ;-)
5. Think of a family member or friend whose name begins with the first initial
E, in my family, is for Evelyn.
(not the same one you got the name from!)
My great-grandmother's name, and the middle name of my grandmother, mom, and daughter.