Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Cover Design - Grace Be a Lady
Last week I found myself in the unprecedented position of finalizing 11 projects all at once--one for a series of 8 books, so I was producing the final full covers all at once, a contemporary, a box set, and this one.
I was having a grand time. =) I'll be sharing a bit about many of those soon, but I thought I'd start with this Western romance, solely because it's the last one I was working on, LOL.
It's my first Western cover--that's right, the first cowboy I've ever put on a cover! And I was pretty happy to learn that the heroine should be wearing a ball gown. Love pretty-dress covers. Love them. =D But it occurred to me as I crafted Heather Blanton's Grace that y'all might be surprised to realize that the heroine you see on the cover is actually made of 3 models. Namely, these three.
I started my search at www.PeriodImages.com, because I knew they had some lovely dress photos. And knowing that Grace had strawberry blond hair and needed an 1890s dress with a bustle, leg-o-mutton sleeves (that's seriously what they're called) and that it should be purple, I set about browsing. This one drew my eye. The dress was gold, but I knew I could change that. Her hair was right, though. And the dress was fairly true to the styling of the day. I'd have to lengthen the sleeve, but otherwise...not bad!
Roseanna said, "Mm hm." And went to www.Shutterstock.com to look for a picture of a blond with her hair up. As usual, I searched for brides, this time in profile to get the right angle of the body. While hockey continued on the TV, I paged through the options. Pretty soon I had snagged this lovely lady.
Oh yeah. I'm that good. ;-)
Being happy with Grace, I then turned to cowboys. I found an image that was promising of a guy in a duster.
Early viewers agreed that they liked them...but that it looked like he was staring at her tushie, LOL. So I ended up tilting his head back the other direction.
Now for the background! You can see in the early cover above what I was going for. We needed Wyoming mountains for sure, and after looking at Heather's covers for her current series, I decided to continue with the drama in them that comes of bold skies. So I started with this one:
Overall, I really liked this, and so did Heather. Another slight change we made here was widening the cowboy so he wasn't so rail-thin. To do that I quite simply widened the image, all but his head, which stayed the same. Just gave him a couple more inches of girth. =)
So then. Time for the words! This can sometimes be aggravatingly tricky, finding the perfect fonts. As you can see in that early cover I posted above, my first thought was an elegant script. But Heather wanted something more blocky and bold, so I eventually found that ParmaPetit gave me what I was looking for--a bold, rather standard serif font, but with a bit of a flair here and there.