Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Remember When . . . They Helped the Poor?

First of all, the important stuff. Today is my little princess's birthday, and somehow or another this pretty little thing is turning 8! How in the world did that happen??

So I'm going to busy today doing the Big Stuff. Putting candles in muffins, going shopping, making macaroni and chicken nuggets for dinner. It leaves little time for blogging. ;-)

But of course, I didn't forget you all! I'm just directing you to where I'm actually posting on my Wednesday subject today. Namely, at Colonial Quills, where it's my monthly turn. Today I'm talking about some interesting tidbits I learned a bit off-handedly in my new research on Philadelphia of 1776. A bit to whet your appetite:

The Bettering House and the Manufactory


Who should be responsible for the poor? For the needy? Whose job is it to feed the hungry and clothe the naked?

And if one takes that responsibility...how should one go about it?

To the Quakers of Colonial Philadelphia, the answer to both was simple: this was a task that ought to fall to them, not to the government, and they were not going to feed mouths without feeding souls. More often than not, they felt, people arrived at low circumstances because of their own choices--often bad ones, morally speaking. And so, they needed to be taught. They needed to bettered.
A Quaker almshouse

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Xöe! Eight years old is a good age. :)

    Very neat! It's a good idea. So many people feel as though e government should help the poor and give them jobs and pay their bills, but no, that's not what the government is for. The governments purpose if to protect liberty and give people the opportunity to a good education, a safe place to live, and the pursuit of happiness -- not to provide it for them. Good post!

    ReplyDelete