Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Remember When . . . Shakespeare Insulted You?

It happens to me all the time. (No, not that Shakespeare insults me . . .;-) I'm barreling full-steam through a heated scene on-page, when, wham. I come against a blinking cursor and don't know what to type. Because one of my characters is insulting the other--and my vocabulary fails me.

Why? Because our favorite insults today don't fly in a historical context. I can't have Delia call Phin a jerk. He's scowl and say, "I'm not tugging on you. What are you talking about?" He can't call her a snob (see Monday's post, wink, wink), or she'd say, "Whatever do you mean? I'm not pretending to my gentility, I was born to it, as you well know, you . . . you . . ."

Yeah. Back to square one. So I'm compiling a list of historical insults, and boy is it fun! From scalawag to rogue to jackanapes, from slimy toad to delightful imp, I'm trying to make sure I have all the fun ones--and the truly low-down ones--on my list. Without getting vulgar, of course.




5 comments:

  1. A vain common-kissing strumpet?? Shakespeare has learned to insult others well. Is that a compliment? I suppose I should be insulted by that name...but it's a bit more difficult to be angry with someone who's been in his grave for hundreds of years.

    Thanks for sharing Mrs. White. (thank you I think, anyway) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, that made me laugh! Funny how some of these match up. And yes, let's not get too angry at poor, dead Shakespeare, LOL.

      Delete
  2. Tooo fun!

    Apparently, I'm a fawning, knotty-pated strumpet. That does NOT sound good!

    ReplyDelete