Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Story Time . . . The Read and Share Bible

A couple weeks ago I got an email from a publicist working with Thomas Nelson Publishers, asking if I'd be interested in receiving the Read and Share Bible for review. I quickly agreed. With two small children, I definitely want to be sure to give them a Biblical grounding. But I confess it--we often give up on Bible stories because I just despise the way some books tell them. I mean, I get leaving things out, even highlighting things not mentioned, but can they please refrain from mangling facts??

Yesterday Read and Share Bible arrived, and I was excited to bring it to our book time last night. This is going to be only a first impression, of course, but I have to say that thus far I'm thrilled with what I've seen.

Though arranged in short, punchy stories told along with colorful pictures, the voice is approachable and fun, and there are prompts at the bottom of each page--not things that take you out of the flow, but which look forward to the next part of the story, like, "Uh-oh, things are about to get wet!" or "Do you know how long it rained?"

I'm looking forward to reading more with my kiddos each night. Yesterday they responded actively and with excitement to the storytelling and illustrations, and I think this will be a good way to give them that grounding I want to provide. Sure, there are stories not included (no Cain and Able, for instance) and details excluded (it doesn't actually say the flood killed all the bad people), but as a way to introduce the most familiar stories, this is the best I've seen--and I've got a pretty wide selection of Bible story books lying around my house.

Happy 4th day of Christmas, everyone! Hope your Tuesday is bright and cheerful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment