Monday, September 20, 2010

Modern . . . Heroes

I confess it--I love a good hero. I like being in their heads for a while, I like seeing their thoughts. Generally speaking, I like their reactions. My hubby and I joke that my emotions are more like a man's than a woman's (and he frequently praises the Lord that I somehow escaped the moodswings that plague so many women), and more than once I've growled at a heroine for being so . . . so . . . blastedly girlish in her response to something, when I wanted her to suck it up and take it like a woman.

Maybe that's why I enjoy crafting my heroes, tucking little pieces of the men I know and love into their characters. Yes, my hubby sees a bit of himself in some of my awesome guys. My dad probably would too, if he read my unpublished manuscripts. Though of course, there are always some things uniquely their own.

I love creating heroes that earn sighs from my critique partners, and I know I've gotten it right if Carole emails something to the effect of, "If I weren't happily married to a real man, I'd be giving your heroine some competition for him." =)

One of my favorite heroes thus far is in my contemporary, Seized. He's got the alpha-thing going in that he's in peak physical position--kinda necessary, since he's a SEAL. But he's not the leader of his group--he's the tech guy. He's of especially strong spirit, his relationship with the Lord one I aspire to. He prays over everything, and has so well learned to listen to the Lord that his entire team has learned to trust whatever God tells him to do or not do. Of course, he's going to be a little challenged toward the end of the book when God's telling him to put the woman he loves in harm's way without any guarantees that she'll come back to him.

Which brings me to one of my favorite, but trickiest heroic attributes. See, Smith (my hero) hasn't been involved with a woman for the last eight years, ever since some torture-training drew him so close to the Lord. What will come out throughout the story is that God has actually put blinders on him so that the next woman he really notices is THE woman--and it isn't an at-first-sight thing with her, he doesn't get struck by it until she accepts Christ. Then bam! He falls hard.

Now, personally I think this is going to be a lot of fun. I do admit to some concern that Smith will be too perfect, or the blinded-to-all-others thing might not be realistic. (Hence the backstory concerning the woman he was a little too involved with in college and her determination to come back into his life now and dredge up the past.)

What are some of your favorite characteristics in a hero? Do you like the strong, silent types? The just-waiting-to-be-reformed bad boys? The geeky ones who come into their own over the course of the story? Do share!

1 comment:

  1. Any well-written hero can do something for me, but I'm a big fan of the strong, silent types. I'm married to one :)

    ReplyDelete