Monday, September 13, 2010

Modern . . . Beaches


Given that I'm yet again staring out at the Atlantic (ah, bliss!), this seems like a perfect topic for today--especially because coming down to the Outer Banks inevitably reminds me of the contemporary novels I set here.

I know I've talked a bit about Yesterday's Tides before, but I can never think of it enough. =) This is one of those stories that totally obsesses me every time I work on it. There's something about the life of Louisa, my single mom to twins, that inspires me and consumes me. It's not just that she's brilliant, that she's so very dedicated to her family. It is, in part, this place. And the fact that she's so tied to it.

This is one of those stories that couldn't have been set anywhere else. Louisa belongs to the Outer Banks. In a lot of ways, she is the ocean. Steady, but not always predictable. Deep, and not always safe. Yet also nurturing and welcoming. A life source.

I always expect to see Louisa sauntering up the beach when I'm here. Who knows. Maybe someday I will. =)

0 comments:

Post a Comment