Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Story Time . . . Here Again?

Okay, I've done it again. I've been so busy finishing up Jewel of Persia that I've barely been reading these past few weeks. I took quite a few books with me on vacation, decided to read the Nora Roberts I got from the library first, and just managed to finish it this Sunday. As in, nearly two weeks after starting it.

Good thing I have a finished manuscript under my belt now, or that would be downright embarrassing!

The point being, I have nothing much to say today about one book in particular. So I'm going to talk about a few.

First, have you all read The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series and/or directed your teens to it? It's a super-awesome YA series, the third and final book of which just released. So Over It. They were all awesome, but this one is hands-down the best. I mean, it's set largely in Hawaii. Do I need to say more? I can--I can go on and on. In this one Skylar faces down the demons from her past, and what she learns makes her redefine everything she'd founded the last year of her life on. Forced to reevaluate what it means to be a daughter, a sister, a friend, a girlfriend--and most of all a Christian--Skylar must finally get over her hangups so she can move on with her life.

Next, I have sitting in my bag Cara Putman's Stars in the Night. The cover is gorgeous, and the book sounds soooooo good. It's about movie stars touring the country on a train in the 40s to sell war bonds--and the sister of one late starlet, determined to find her sister's murderer, no matter the danger. I really hoped to start this one on vacation, but alas. I kept writing instead. =)

I've recently picked up Sandi Patty's The Edge of the Divine, which releases next week. I'll be posting an interview with Sandi soon, which is pretty exciting for me. I think she might be the most famous person I've ever interviewed, LOL. This book is about how through a year of weight loss brought on a surgical procedure, she grew in faith and came to some great epiphanies about living life on a spiritual edge, hand-in-hand with the Lord. Though I've never shared her particular struggled, the insights she pulls from them are right-on and relevant for anyone, especially women. I'm especially loving the scripture she uses.

I'm also going to start tonight (or re-start, rather, on my hubby's new tablet) Wounded Spirits by April Gardner, which is due out this fall. I opened this one up and gave a blissful sigh. Native Americans! I looooooove these amazing people and their cultures, but it's been many years since I've read a book about them--I suspect that's a genre that kinda burned itself out in the 90s, and now it's going to have to climb slowly out of the ashes. April Gardner is a solid writer, and I can't wait to see what she does with her very intriguing premise!

And enough from me. Stuff to do. =)

7 comments:

  1. I really want to read Stars in the Night, too, and I can't wait to see your review with Sandi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've got a good line up of books. Anxious to read some of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. So today's the first time I've had a chance to do something besides frantically respond to time-sensitive e-mails, and I ventured over to your blog only to find me on it :) Thanks, girl! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Cara's, Sandi's, and April's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read your interview with Sandi Patty...can you also ask if she would like to come to Manila, Philippines for a concert in the near future?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I can ask, LOL. Not saying I have the thinnest string to tug on, but you never know. Plant the seed . . . ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited about April's book, too, especially since we started working together on Reflections in Hindsight - http://reflectionsinhindsight.wordpress.com. She has such great insights and guests for her Wed. posts.

    ReplyDelete