Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Story Time . . . THANK YOU, SARAH by Laurie Halse Anderson


For this Thanksgiving story time, I couldn't think of a better book to spotlight than a fabulous children's book I read to my daughter this week. We found it at the library, on display because of it's Thanksgiving theme, and I am so impressed with this book.

We all know the Pilgrim-and-natives story of Thanksgiving, sure. But how many of us know the story of how it became a national holiday? I had some vague memory about it, but this great picture book helped flesh it out and make real the story of one determined, courageous woman who headed the 38-year battle to get Thanksgiving recognized as a national holiday.

Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving is great on so many levels. Illustrator Matt Faulkner created pictures that both appealed to my 4-year-old daughter and delighted me with their excellence and the humor hidden within them. They sort of cross Norman Rockwell with editorial cartoons. The writing is friendly and funny, and Anderson uses this vivid voice to bring to life an amazing woman.

We've read a lot of Thanksgiving books this past month, but the one that in my mind best combines history with good writing and fabulous art is Thank You, Sarah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment